Re: 2.18 slogan (was Re: request for a gnome bugday banner.)

On 3/9/07, Thilo Pfennig <thilopfennig foresightlinux org> wrote:

I am against a new slogan for every new release. I think we should have one
stable slogan that identifies GNOME. We can change that if our focus changes
but this is not what we really do on every release.

I agree

What we are working on
is to make GNOME better each release. If we are just talking about a tagline
for the release - thats Ok for me - but this should not be considered THE
GNOME slogan.

I agree

For  a good slogan we should not collect random slogans but find a way how
we get a good slogan.

It's not random, it has to do with the main feature we have selected
for 2.18. Surely it could be better, but as for today there were not
better proposals.

I used "simply beautiful" in the title of the release notes and I
recommend to use "simply beautiful" if someone comes up with a GNOME
2.18 banner. That's all.

About how to get a good slogan, I believe the best ones are generally
generated through a little preliminary (or unconsciouss) research, 1-2
brainstorming sessions with 2-4 very good ideas and then a quich
selection with an agreed resolution. After that the slogan is used
everywhere and all the rest is forgotten.

A best option would be that someone comes with THE Brilliant Idea
everybody loves. This works too but it is difficult to plan.  :)

A GNOME option could be to start a race with "Simply Beautiful" and
open the competition for better ideas. Everytime we get a better
slogan we apply it. The surviving slogan in 2.20 becomes The GNOME
Slogan, and we don't touch it. We have discussed and collected
candidates in the past, several times. We never got to a conclusion,
that's why I'm suggesting a different way. It might sound less serious
but perhaps it leads us to the objective we are aiming to.