Re: Release notes and wgo revamp

Be careful, GNOME Products are managed with a specific tool: the
software center.

Thanks for going ahead. At least Ramon will assist you with technical
issuees. I will work on wgo stuff on evenings. Till then.

Quim

On 2/4/07, Diego Escalante <dieguito gmail com> wrote:
<Snarf>

On 2/3/07, Quim Gil <quimgil gmail com> wrote:
> There is a lot of work to do and we don't seem to progress much (or at
> least not as much as we need to deliver something good by March 14th)
>
> We need to be clever reciclyng as much work as possible. Here is a
> proposal to have something ready that is better than the current
> website and is also easily extensible to continue working on the 15th
> onwards.

Silly as it might sound, I discovered that if you select, copy and
paste the text of any gnome.org/project/ page into the HTML editor of
Plone, it will be copied with the images embedded. I wasn't able to
insert images other way.

Also the option to use only a textarea instead of the HTML editor is
broken since I got a textarea of 10x300 (or something very tall).

> - We need release notes. Since they need to be translated to nn
> languages and there is no plan for i18n in the current release, let's
> keep them in the CVS/SVN as usual. However, we can keep them simple
> and create part of their content as GNOME Products pages, at least for
> the new modules included:
>
>  devtools suite
>  seahorse
>  nm-applet
>  devhelp
I bootstrapped the devhelp page, I can't upload images -don't know
why- via the html editor so I limited myself to only text.

>  glade3
>
> - We need content for the home. The spash will be the 2.18 splash. The
> product promoted can be glade3, let's concentrate efforts in this
> product page, getting help of their maintainers. If we have more
> rocking product pages we can introduce the random rotation of promoted
> products, if not Glade3 will do to start with. The rest are feeds
> coming from gnomedesktop.org & planet or static texts easy to put up.
>
> Let's have a look to the sections:
>
> - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/WgoTakeTheTour
> Panos, are you still available to help with the graphics? If there is
> a designer I will provide texts for a whole tour. If not I will draft
> a single page, to be expanded, linking to a screenshots gallery at
> art,gnome.org and whatever reference pages we come up with.

I added some initial text to Simply Powerful Desktop, Multilingual and
Shipped by.
May I suggest we use a little logo of each distribution in the Shipped
by page? I assume we would like to ask for permission of some of them
(I only know about Debian's policy).

> - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/GnomeProducts
> Let's compromise ourselves to the 5 new modules mentioned above and
> let's make a call to the teams to create themselves the product page
> of their GNOME projects. We will help to those answering the call and
> uploading content. We won chase anybody.
I control-copied a part of EoG page and 2 sections of Epiphany site.
Please note the _control-copied_.

> - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/CaseStudies (Success Stories)
> Let's make a call for stories and let's provide the tool for people to
> publish them. And let's ask the GNOME Journal team if they have
> stories to be re-published there (if this makes sense to them). If we
> get enough good material we will publish the section, If not we will
> take it out completely until it is worth publishing.

We need to find someone with a good story. I don't have one :(.

> - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/WgoGetStarted
> If Joachim or someone can write the 7 pages planned, great, If not we
> will start with one, to be expanded.
>
> - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/WgoGetInvolved
> Same.
>
> - http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/WgoAbout
> Same.
>
> One very useful exercise. Can someone go through the current gnome.org
> and see which pages or excerpts can be mostly reused? We can create
> new pages with them according to the currently planned structure - and
> polish/improve them afterward.  Thomas did this very useful map in
> order to track the existing pages:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/CurrentWgoStructure
>
> Does this plan make sense? Ideas?

Makes sense in my opinion.