Re: PseudOT: GNOME 1.4 splash

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 21:46 -0500, Diego Escalante Urrelo wrote:

> On 8/21/07, Quim Gil <qgil gnome org> wrote:
> > That one, yes. Luca, you were almost as fast as Tuomas (via IM).  :)
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > I'm writing few lines about it, since it was my first GNOME
> impression:
> >
> > "It was love at a first glance. In fact I got seduced even before
> > stepping in the desktop itself. That GDM splash with some old houses
> > had character, it was totally disruptive with any boot screen I had
> > seen before."
>
> Whoa, time-travelling. I recall that when I first used redhat 7.2 I
> also liked GNOME's look, still I don't know why...
> I recall something with a lighthouse, I think it was the splash screen
> also. Anybody knows where can I find that one? Is my memory ok?

I remember the lighthouse thing too...  Also around redhat 7.2 I
remember logging into GNOME and finding only a couple of items in the
panel and a feeling of "what do I do now?".  I installed KDE then and it
was a lot more inviting, and I started hacking on Qt to fix its problems
rendering Persian...

However with redhat 7.3 and 8 came the Bluecurve theme, and GNOME 2 too,
that was totally different and usable.  Don't exactly remember how it
happened, next thing I remember I was submitting Pango patches to
bugzilla...

Jrb told me that almost all Red Hat versions can be installed inside a
virtual machine on RHEL-5 / Fedora.  One should do that and take lots of
shots of different GNOME versions and features, then we can create a
video showcasing the evolution of GNOME since 0.1...

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/

        -- Benjamin Franklin, 1759