Re: GNOME groups in USA

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 02:35:34AM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 15:49 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> >
> > Oregon is somewhat weak.  We have a strong free software community
> > but very weak in desktop.
>
> Like, Carl Worth and Keith Packard? ;)

They don't count. :-)  They don't really hack on GNOME just the
infrastructure bits.  We're talking about GNOME volunteers.

That said, the three of us are trying to build a generic free
software community along with diverse others but it has been going
very slowly.  Portland is very free software friendly.  The mayor
reputedly (and I've confirmed with other people) runs KDE at work.
I'm quite happy about that because it means he'll be open to having
a strong desktop community and might be able to fund or advertise
conferences.

If we make progress, I'll try to keep people abreast of things.
But none of us currently have time to pursue it very aggressively
Working with governments tend to take a while.

If people in the area are interested, feel free to email me.

sri