Re: Screenshot link on frontpage

SUMMARY: you convinced me in one point and now I think that "Overview"
is better than "Take the Tour" in the primary nav bar - see
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/Navigation

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 22:54 +0200, Martin Jeppesen wrote:
>  thing I like about Screenshot is that, it is affiliated with
> software, and that is what new visitors are looking for.

Let's go deeper in the "Screenshots" thing. If we look at software
websites in general we will realize that it's basically a solution used
by free software websites devoted basically to free software users (and
produced generally by the software developers themselves). Go to
Mozilla, OpenOffice.org, Microsoft, Apple or Adobe and you will see that
they use screenshots in the context of an overview, but they don't call
that section "Screenshots". Therefore I don't think "new visitors" are
looking for "screenshots" even if they want to know how the software
looks like (this is one of our use cases).

IMO what happened is that most free software related websites (poor
quality in general) had always a "Features" text-only page plus a
"Download" page with source tarballs and packages. One day they realized
how important it was to show the graphical interface and not only the
code, and they added a page with screenshots with captions, generally
with no connection to the features list. A patch.

The good solution is to show the screenshots while explaining the
features. But, wait, we are also questioning if we should communicate
software features before user benefits [1]. This is why we should offer
an overview (call it Tour or not) that should concatenate the benefits
of using GNOME, combining text, images and perhaps short video demos as
well.

But we have also lots of free software users visiting our site, and many
of them will be looking for "screenshots" at large. Right, let's have an
explicit Screenshots gallery full of examples and eye-candy. It's
visible in the now "Overview" secondary nav bar and we can think of
setting a "Screenshots Gallery" link at the GNOME Slogan block in the
home which features a screenshot itself.

> "Take the tour" is often seen of big company websites, where all sorts
> of products, not necessary software related, are showcased.
>
> "Take the tour" may therefore not lead the visitor to think there are
> screenshots beneath.

Good point. After some research I think that "Overview" is a better term
to describe what we are offering there.

> I understand your point, but I think that new possible users of
> Gnome/Linux are primarily looking for software, so they might get
> scared away by the community part of Gnome.

Tour and videos would be focusing also on software, as the community
thing might take just a slide/few secs of that. For the community stuff
we have a Get Involved section in the primary nav and a Community
subsite in the General bar.

[1]
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/marketing-list/2006-July/msg00082.html

--