Re: WGO Revamp: Look and Feel

Máirín Duffy wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Using Lee's site structure wireframe mockup, I put together another
> iteration of the WGO look & feel mockup:
>
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/LooknFeel
>
> Below I'm going to highlight some issues and bring up some questions to
> hopefully continue the discussion flowing! :) -
>
> * I included the Planet GNOME module thingy we've been talking about,
> which doesn't include any subject lines or blog post text as we
> discussed. What do you think about how this is shaping up visually? Do
> you think it adds value to the front page without divulging blog post
> subject lines or content? Does it serve as a good 'advertisement' or
> upsell of planet.gnome.org?

    It looks nice, I think its shaping up well!
> (Is this even what we're looking to do? Revisiting a post from Jeff [1],
> should we be focusing more on feeds from various community websites than
> focusing exclusively on personal feeds from PGO?)
>
> * Currently on WGO, we have a separate News column and a separate events
> column. Do we want to consolidate news & events into one feed? Or just
> have news in that column in the center, and advertise events via the
> events banner on the right?

    I think we add the feed where appropriate so another feed for the events
    on right hand side would be fine.
> * I've been following the Tango palette for all the little filler
> banners and everything else, and I think it works well so I'm going to
> set that as a WGO look & feel guideline I think.

    Tango must be the way to go as GNOME and other freedesktops will be
using
    the themes. It can only give the site a better feel which relates to
its desktop.
> * What do you think about the overall look of the little icons?
> (newspaper, globe with chat bubbles, mini chatbubble icons, globe icons)
> Do they fit an overall style we wouldn't be opposed to running with?

    Im not sure, but they look okay and appear to fit in well with other
components.
> * With the structure wireframe fleshed out a bit, is there a need to
> revisit some of the layout decisions that have been made now you can see
> what it'd look like with filler content?

    My only niggle is you have left out the decorative strip under the
General Navigation Bar.
    Also I think the primary Bar should be like tabs, like the Apple
Site. The GNOME logo should        cover the General Bar and Primary Bar
as the mockup suggests. The General NAv bar also needs to     be less in
height see Guadec. But in all I think we are getting there. If you do
want any changes     to the mockups on the layout page let me know and I
will gladly change them to suit.