Re: WGO Revamp: Look and Feel

Hi again,

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 23:43 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> http://live.gnome.org/data/GnomeWeb(2f)LooknFeel/attachments/mizmo-wgo-mock-1.png

I also like the general look&feel. It looks like we can go ahead
defining this style.

> * visual layout - how best to place banner, how and where to place
> navigation

A mature draft for the homepage structure is available at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/PageStructure - you have there all the
elements we want to have, plus their position in the page. It is you
choice to get more specific in sizes of each component and its relation
with the neighbors.

> * functionality - what functionality is planned for the site and how
> will it appear to users?

We have a mature list of components at
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/ComponentSelection although in this
iteration we are not aiming to define the elements of any component
(i.e. has the New component a form to subscribe to email updates?). Feel
free to improvise with these elements stating clearly in your mockups
that this is not final design.

> * How happy are we with top-level navigation on the wiki [1]? Should I
> go ahead and use the following headings in mockups:

Navigation is being discussed in
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/Navigation but we don't have a final
draft yet (waiting for the revision of the NewWgoStructure). Don't get
stuck with texts, you can even go through Lorem Ipsum so people don't
get confused with those non-final texts either.

About navigation, think that we agree on a neutral General nav bar on
the top top à la http://guadec.org that would be shared by all the GNOME
subsites. Then a wgo primary nav bar underneath that can be more flashy.
The GNOME logo (bigger than the current at wgo) would be based in the
wgo bar but would go up overlapping the space of the General bar.

We haven't agreed on the position of the wgo secondary nav bar. Lee
thinks it should be on the right column, as it is currently in wgo. I
think that it is easier to manage when placed directly underneath the
primary nav bar. More opinions are welcome.

We are considering also a breadcrumb nav component to be used in some
cases (but we haven't still defined when).

> * Based off of the wiki CMS Requirements page [2], I'm going to include
> the following features in future mocks. Let me know if any of these are
> problematic:

You don't need to put in place anything not defined in the components
and page structure. If you find something is missing let's discuss it at
a component level before including it in the look&feel.

> ** login system

Not used in wgo, since by now just a bunch of editors will ned to log
in, it will be useless for the 99% of users.

> ** RSS feeds (news & site updates. any others?)

News and Planet blocks can have the feed icon, I guess.

We haven't talked about a feed of wgo updates in general. If we would
decide to have it it would make sense to show it in the page footer.

> ** search

Approved component.

> ** page keywords

Discussed, without agreement. Let's leave them by now.

> ** language selection (per page)

Approved component.

> ** edit page

If we have such link it could be placed in the footer as well, where
just a minority of interested users would see it.

> ** breadcrumb trail (maybe?)

Approved component, optional in secondary pages.

> * Additional features not on the CS requirements page:
>
> Has much thought/discussion been done on pulling in information from
> subsites onto the front page? Here are some ideas I've had:
>
> ** planet GNOME mini feeds - maybe the subject lines of the most-recent
> posts on planet GNOME including little mini hackergotchis.

Approved component, although currently under discussion. Let's keep it
by now.

> ** GNOME art mini feed - most recently submitted 5 or top 5 submitted
> pieces of art
> ** bugzilla - 5 most recently fixed / opened / updated bugs
> ** mailing lists - (don't know if this is possible but) 5 most recently
> posted-to GNOME mailing lists
> ** CVS - most recent commits. hehe.
> ** IRC - top 5 most active channels with a link to instructions on how
> to join in

We are aiming in this release to a "less is more" approach, in wgo in
general and specifically in the homepage. This dynamic content might be
appropriate for other pages, but in the home would be excessive, I
think.

When people ask "why do we need a login at wgo" one of the answers could
be "to customize your homepage, get rid of the big splash banner and put
instead the feeds Máirín suggested".  ;)  This discussion has no place
in the current release, though.

> ** Footnotes - subjects from the 5 most-recently updated (eg comments) posts

There is a News component approved. We need to decide if what we list
there are the last 5 footnotes news or something else (a News gateway is
under planning, and it could bring a wider source of news - in any case
this doesn't affect your look&feel work.