projects.gnome.org (was Re: [Fwd: GnomeWeb 2.18 goals])

http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/ProjectsPages updated.

Let's decide what we do with this.

On Mon, 2006-10-23 at 09:34 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> How is projects.gnome.org back on the agenda at all?

During 2.16 we agreed that we would drop the goal and leave the
discussion for later. Now we are in 2.18 and it's time to agree on
something.

wgo has evolved a lot since our previous discussion about this topic. I
think projects.gnome.org is necessary for many reasons:

- The wgo scope. The revamped wgo is an introduction, an overview, a
gateway. A project page intends to be the complete resource about that
project. Both concepts don't mix together.

- Localization. wgo plans to be available in several languages. Each
language supported will offer the whole wgo translated, so users of that
language don't see some pages in <locale> and some in English.
wgo/projects get in the way with this policy since we are not going to
translate those subsites.

- Quality and responsibility. wgo is owned by the marketing team, who
puts the discourse and quality standards. But the marketing team has no
control over these subsites. Having a wgo with double standards does no
good to the whole wgo revamp.

- Inconsistent layout. There is no practical way to integrate, say,
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/ to the wgo template and under a
wgo primary bar. Instead, adding the clean General GNOME bar on the top
with a "Projects" link activated allow users to know where they are in
the GNOME ecosystem and how to skip to other GNOME projects.

Enough reasons for a change, specially when that change is not difficult
to implement:

- Aliasing and redirect set by the sysadmins
- General nav bar included in the header by the affected webmasters
- Index and other potential general pages done by us, no matter if we
are in wgo/projects or projects.go.

Something like that.

--
Quim Gil /// http://desdeamericaconamor.org | http://pinguino.tv