Re: Because you have better stuff to do than fixing your computer

Baris Cicek wrote:
I think it's a good idea to be positive about the GNOME life, but I
think it's best to be more direct about that. An ad that's all about how
bad Windows is would not be as effective as an add that's all about how
good GNOME is.

People know that Windows is crappy and frustrating. If we can get the
"just works" and "I can do cool stuff" and "My life is good" ideas
across, I think people will make the comparison without us spelling it
out for them.
Agreed. Indeed "Windows is cr*p" approach is more like Apple adds for
iMac ('Hi! I'm PC (!)) adds. It's better to present GNOME as a solution
for general computer user annoyances for generic tasks or as an
environment. I would be more interested in a slogan with "Instead of
working for your computer make it work for you" kind of notion.
Yeah, you're totally right about that. We don't want to tell people something they already know, and Apple does that anyway. I guess we need to figure out if the message(s) fits our target groups (as agreed on during Guadec), or put in another way, what is actually really important for those people.
1. People who reads computer magazines
2. People that are in charge of Large deployments
3. Developers

I think this slogan would work totally nice for category 2, because it's critical for them that stuff don't screw up. What kind of category of dudes are the people going to LinuxWorld most likely to be? Is it ok if I nick the "Instead of..."-slogan right off? I think it's pretty cool.
I'll keep my first poster for myself and put it above my desk. :)
- Andreas