Re: The way forward

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:17:56 -0800
"Corey Burger" <corey burger gmail com> wrote:

> Well, congratulations on another release. However, our work is never
> done. Here are some ideas for the way forward:
>
> During the 2.14 lifecycle:
>
> -Cleanup the About GNOME page so it is actually pretty

Note that work has been done here already. Check GnomeWeb on lgo for
the proposed structure, check out gnomeweb-wml from CVS, and ask me for
the patches.

> -Showcase upcoming technologies such as Gimmie, leaftag and others.
> This should be fairly informal, but lets see if we can get something
> written for LWN in their weekly addition, as well as for the GNOME
> Journal

Submission deadline for the next edition is April, the 1st.

> -Cleanup /start/. It is awful and doesn't really tell me anything about GNOME

This was discussed at least two times in the last year or so. IIRC,
Luis Villa said the page shouldn't contain stuff that needs change for
a release, and Jeff wrote something like: "I do this now!"

However. It would rock, if you'd like to work on the issue.

> For 2.16:
>
> It was a shock to me to see something other than the press release
> being sent to the gnome-announce list. Given that the target audience
> in my mind included LWN, I don't see the distinction.

Journalists are different to community folks. Theoretically, the press
release is meant to be sent to potential press contacts with email (or
at least a link to the press release). We have press contacts persons
but I'm doubt we have a list of press contacts.

Again, we need somebody to organize this: Caring about the necessary
infrastructure, digg our press contact people to collect potential
press contacts, etc. -- that is: we need a maintainer for the press
stuff! Interested?

[...]

> Also for 2.16, we need a better landing page off the press release.
> /start/ should be the release notes for the latest stable. Currently
> to find the release notes requires three clicks of text. Not many are
> going to brave that jungle.

When you click wgo/download you are redirected to wgo/start. The
release notes are a mess for people who just want to know how they can
get GNOME.

And given the size of our webpages, three clicks is a really good score.

> All in all, a great release. Lets get out there and start marketing it well!

Good idea! :-)

Cheers,
Claus