Re: GNOME Software Map

- In the GNOME Software Map we will feature at least a link to
gnomefiles.org, with the comments we feel needed. We can also include
their feed, or maybe we find the way to have a feed with only free apps
if we think this is appropriate.

What I can do is modify the RSS feed and when there's a non-free app, it will show up like this:
<title>GTick (ver. 0.3.10) [Non-Free]</title>
Then, you can parse the file, search for a "non-free" string in the TITLE and if found, you skip the entry altogether and you don't display it on gnome.org. How does this sound?

BTW, www.GtkFiles.org is now live and it points to gnomefiles.org. Apparently the owner had registered that domain name back in 2004 when I had asked him to, but it never got enabled because he forgot to tell the admin about it. :o)

Also, I have major problems sending email to the list, so I am copying below two emails I sent earlier that didn't make it through, I think.

Eugenia

----------------------
you're also using a trademark without proper authorization!

I don't know what "proper authorization" would be (you mean, in writing?),
but the Gnome Board HAS discussed the Gnomefiles situation last year. This
is the email I received some time ago from a Gnome member:

"The GNOME board have now discussed that issue and come to the agree that
you and gnomefiles.org are generally doing a very good job that we are happy
with. GNOME choose the LGPL for multiple reasons, allowing non-gpl including
non-free software is one of those. That said we do support free software
above non-free and we feel that should in some way or form come through.
[...] If you would also be willing to consider marking non-free software
clearer as such, maybe boldfacing their license field or something that
would also be appreciated. "

And this has happened, I have complied with this request (all non-Free apps
are now marked as such). I am not sure what more it can be done for this, it
seems that the Board doesn't have a problem with Gnomefiles generally
speaking especially after fixing the only standing issue. So no, I am not
willing to remove non-Free apps from the listing. I prefer open source
applications too (don't get me wrong), it's just that I also want the site
to be a full, complete GTK+ app list.

GnomeFiles.org is a GTK software repository.
why not calling it gtkfiles.org then??

Marketing. Users don't generally know what GTK really is. It would fail if
it was called gtkfiles and people couldn't even pronounce the name of the
site. We like it or not, Gnome is the best ambassador for GTK. And that's
why the site was named as such. In fact, MOST of our readers ARE Gnome
users! And most of the applications listed there DO use the Gnome libraries!
Gnome is in the HEART of the site, even if the site allows non-gnome apps
too.

-------------------

Ok, I made the change on gnomefiles regarding licenses. I have simplified
the licenses drop-down box a lot. There are only 4 non-Free licenses choices
now, and if one of these is picked, it will show up on its public page with
red characters indicating that this is not Free Software. Examples:
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=858
http://www.gnomefiles.org/app.php?soft_id=1143
I had to make the changes on existing non-Free apps listed on gnomefiles by
HAND (please don't ask for more changes on this, it was painful to do it by
hand and I already broke a few app entries trying to comply with this).
There is a good chance that I have missed 5-6 of them though. If you see
one, please email me and I will make the change for them too manually.

Gergely, I will send you later privately the DB schema of the "versioning"
table, which is the one that needs to integrate with DOAP.