Re: SpreadGNOME.org

Hi Michael,

First of all, thank you for your effort spreading GNOME. Let's see if
this marketing team is able to help you reaching a success we all can
benefit from.

I don't thing any of the following tips adds anything to the lessons
learned thanks to the excellent
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spread_Firefox

- If anybody wants to promote GNOME, a very basic and easy step is to
put a prominent and cool link to http://gnome.org in the homepage. Note
that http://www.spreadgnome.org/ has just one link to our main page, at
the bottom, and in fact refers to the GNOME Foundation
( http://foundation.gnome.org ). Don't repeat our own mistakes. [1]

- If you want to complement our marketing effort and not compete with
our own sources, the better you can do is produce marketing materials
and campaigns we are not producing. This is at the very end what
spreadfirefox.org did so great for the Firefox project. You say you
still haven't got anything because you have just started. Ok, fine, what
then... wouldn't it be better not to start until you have got something
new? I know, now it's too late. A quick amendment to this could be to
come up with a first marketing artifact (a banner people could put in
their website?) and a campaign (something simple you can roll out in a
week). Or at least specify what are your marketing plans, so the
marketing team knows what to expect from you.

- Also, we all know that spreadfirefox.org was not connected to the
Mozilla Foundation. Of course not, I guess this gave them some freedom
and agility to do whatever (it would be good to know the reasons). But
well, it is obvious that Blake Rose and Asa Dotzler had some kind of
link with Firefox working full time (?) on this project. You could have
worked in coordination with the marketing team since the earliest stages
of your project. Again, it is too late now. You are an independent
project, but if you want to help marketing GNOME, probably your work
should help GNOME Marketing, not the strongest team of this project. We
had been talking about a Spread GNOME months ago, so your project is not
off-topic. And JFDI is not off-topic in the GNOME culture either, so we
are close. Let's work closer and more efficiently.

One more comment, as personal as the previous ones. I still wonder why
we need an external site to promote GNOME. To me it is a symptom of a
GNOME and gnome.org failure. The wgo revamp tries to solve failures like
this, and I don't see what GNOME marketing spreadgnome.org could do that
gnome.org can't do. spreadfirefox.org was a distinctive brand that I
guess was difficult to build inside mozilla.com, and also perhaps a way
to scape from the procedures of a Mozilla Foundation (?). But if you
notice, it would be quite easy to create a spread.gnome.org , and I
don't see the GNOME Foundation as an obstacle for any sensible marketing
campaign we could imagine.

[1] I'm very sensitive these days about no-links to http://gnome.org ,
and epidemic failure of most GNOME subsites and related sites. See
http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/GnomeSubsites

El dc 23 de 08 del 2006 a les 08:22 -0500, en/na michael phoronix com va
escriure: