Re: Web policies - final draft

El dl 21 de 08 del 2006 a les 01:35 +0200, en/na Sigurd Gartmann va
escriure:

>   * How strong should the translation requirements be? The
>     translators want integration to existing translation tools
>     by using po-files. But that may not be technically possible.

The policies are better followed when they are feasible to accomplish.
Currently there is no CMS that supports PO files as content submitted,
therefore it is risky to demand this in the policies. Let's require in
the policies localization tools that are friendly with the current GNOME
i18n tools and we will negotiate with the specific solution to be
implemented.

>   * Are metatags so important that they need to be part of the
>     policies? Will they be used by anyone, or is it more like
>     "would be nice, maybe it will be useful in the future", or
>     will they be more like a hurdle?

By "(meta)tags" I meant the tags that are being increasingly used in
blog posts, that could serve as well as old school metatags in the
header (the latter is an implementation detail).

I wonder why the tag coolness should be restricted to blogs, perhaps
they can be useful in websites like wgo. A small block somewhere showing
the tags can guide newcomers and can be used to offer topic browsing,
generate a wgo tag cloud as semantic sitemap...

I'm not sure myself how far and how useful should be go with this, but
we are in the right moment to decide this, since adding tags to a
already created (and translated) site is quite boring. :)

However, no need to rush. If there is not quick agreement let's leave it
for later. Maybe it doesn't need to be a policy, and just a
recommendation about tagging content where appropriate is enough.