Re: gnome app pages (was confusingly Gnome Software Map)

--- Gergely Nagy <greg gnome hu> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-08-05 at 22:54 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > <quote who="Joachim Noreiko">

> steroids. It would be _the_ pace
> gnome app.
> > >
> > > That's a good way of putting it :)
> > >
> > > Material that is currently in wgo/projects that
> is more aimed at
> > > developers should go on live.g.o, or whatever
> lgo turns into.
> >
> > Disagree. A core function of our web presence is
> attracting contributors and
> > letting people know that the power of Free
> Software can be theirs, too. We
> > should have "how to get involved" information on
> these pages.
>
> While this is globally true, the aim for wgo is to
> provide good entry
> points. Note that library.gnome.org (i think Joachim
> meant that instead
> of live.gnome.org) will be part of our web presence.
> I think a how to
> get involved link will suffice on these pages
> (garnished by an inviting
> sentence or paragraph of course :)...

Actually, I did mean live.g.o

Suppose I am a potential developer, interested in
Nautilus.
I need to be directed towards pages that tell me...

- who is currently working on nautilus
- how to communicate with them (mailing list, irc)
- what's in the development version
- what is being plannned for the future -- the roadmap
basically
- what are the current open tasks
- how to get my hands on source code

That's all too much technical detail for wgo, and it
will detract from pages aimed at users.

Currently, this information is partly on wgo/projects,
and partly on live.g.o

Where should it go?
library.g.o is not the place for it -- that's for
documentation.

live.g.o is ugly, both visually and with its
WikiWords. I agree with Shaun who said (somewhere)
that it's great to use as a collective notepad, but we
need something more.
So that's either a projects.g.o, or a developer.g.o
reborn from its ashes -- the name is a minor detail.

Of course, a page on wgo about Nautilus would have a
big link leading on to this developer space.

http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html