Re: www.gnome.org - content, scope, structure

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 15:00 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> Hi everyone :)

> What should wgo provide to a visitor?
> It's our shopfront -- we should be able to attract a
> curious passer-by, and welcome in regular visitors.

Exactly, we have to focus on both people new to gnome, and regular gnome
users.

> Newcomers should be able to discover what gnome is,
> what it can do for them, and how they can get it.
> Regulars should be able to get major news on gnome
> (releases, maybe previews of what developers are
> working on), and be pointed on to more specialized
> parts of the site: funky artwork for their gnome, more
> gnome apps, gnome documentation, support forums, etc.

During discussions we could all agree that wgo should be an entry point
to all parties interested in gnome that conveys useful information. Some
target groups are identified on [1]. Perhaps you can start with these
target groups (feel free to improve upon them), and think (make
usecases?) what information they would find useful on the site. See also
[2] You can also try to identify entry points that are not based on
target groups. Maybe based on tasks? E.g. productivity improvements for
everybody, or i don't know :)

Then, take all that information and try to find some structure for it.
Identify overlaps, decide what should be on wgo itself, and what should
be hosted elsewhere (e.g. dev docs, art work, etc). Imho wgo should be a
good starting point also for content that is not hosted on wgo...

Don't overdo the structuring though, avoid too many and too deeply
nested categories, so things are easy to find.

2 good? examples came up during some discussions of sites with similar
goals:
 - microsoft.com
 - apple.com

Perhaps you can analyze them too, a bit, and see what you can find
there. What they present, how they organize it, how they present it...
Keep in mind that these are commercial sites, focusing a lot on
"products", which we don't really have. Or maybe we do, like some great
apps that can be pimped in a similar way?

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy this task! Check back often with updates, so
we can reach consensus on all important things.

Greg

[1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/NewWgoStructure
[2] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWeb/UseCases