Re: Actions

Hi Claus,

Claus Schwarm a écrit :
On Mon, 09 May 2005 09:49:51 +0200
Dave Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:
GNOME Journal (Jim, Sri)
Upcoming conferences (Claus)

Please note that I got active for the GNOME Journal lately,
and I don't know how long I'll need to do it. I just tried the other
format of the conference list, and I'm waiting for the OK from Luis to
clean it up.

No need for an OK - fire ahead :) The wiki is versioned, and it's made for playing with.

However, I'm not going to update the individual entries. Maybe we could
ask the local teams doing it? They should have the best overview.

What is useful is a single point-of-contact. What typically happens is something like this:

Without point-of-contact
1. Someone blogs/mails some list somewhere/mentions on IRC about a conference
2. Someone replies asking that the conference be added to a wiki page
3. There is no 3.

With point-of-contact
1. Someone blogs/mails some list/mentions on IRC a conference
2. Someone else says "Claus Schwarm's maintaining a list of conferences in the wiki. Let him know about it, or add it to the wiki"
3. The person mails Claus, who adds it to the wiki for them.

Poeple are usually uncomfortable editing wiki pages early on. They hae trouble believing that it's OK. It seems like it belongs to someone else. So having a human face really helps. Even if it's only to say "Sure, go ahead, add that to the wiki".

Being the person who keeps an eye open for deployments and testimonials (and reviews - keep an eye open for me for online reviews, guys), I can tell you that there's not much work involved, but that people really appreciate having someone to contact about these types of things.

Maybe Sri is willing to compile a list of possible questions on the
wiki? ;)

Perhaps someone else - I seem to recall a few months ago someone who was interested in market research. A hunt in the archives shows I was thinking of John Williams. John - you still about? Interested in taking this on?

Cheers,
Dave.

--
David Neary