Re: Friends-of-GNOME database [Re: Modifying GNOME-About to count users]

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 09:22 +0200, Quim Gil wrote:
> > This would include things like:
> >
> >  - email addresses
> >  - whether they've opted in to receive GNOME updates
> >  - when available, snail mail addresses
> >  - contribution history
> >  - event attendance history
>
> All this can be done with Drupal/CivicSpace. The CRM module [1] pointed
> by Luis is running already in many projects, we are developing a site
> for an organization that includes it.
>
> Drupal has LDAP integration [2] as well, just in case this is relevant.

Were [1] and [2] supposed to be pointing somewhere? I'm not sure if
LDAP integration is relevant here ... but then again, LDAP integration
is a pretty vague term.

> Drupal is already a robust and consolidated piece of software. If
> instead of writing new code from scratch we spend half this time in
> improving whatever we need from Drupal, we will help this interesting
> project and its great community.
>
> Oh, and they got 11 bounties in Google's Summer of Code. This is also
> like a warranty that somebody else thinks it's a good piece of code to
> promote.

Zope had a company behind, it, but our one usage of Zope on gnome.org
was a flaming disaster.. [*] The fact that something has a lot of buzz
around it doesn't really guarantee much. I think from that and from
bugzilla, we've learned various lessons about reusing and customizing
software on gnome.org:

 - It's really important to have an active maintainer for our
   version. Not keeping up with upstream revisions costs huge amounts
   of effort in the long run.

 - The basic scheme for bugzilla.gnome.org where we have our version
   of the code imported into gnome CVS is a very good idea.

 - However, despite the previous, deviations from upstream really
   need to be avoided when possible. Getting changes upstream and
   then backporting them to our version may work.

Regards,
						Owen

[*] In case there are Zope supporters around, I'll admit that it wasn't
    really Zope causing the problems, but more the squishdot plugin
    for Zope, and the fact that we didn't have anybody around that
    understood Zope.