Re: [Fwd: Re: New supporter]

Hi John,

Selon John Williams <jwilliams business otago ac nz>:
> There are, are there not, a small group of people who decide which
> modules are included in GNOME and which are not, at each release?  I was
> under the impression that one person was designated release-bunny in
> order to make these sort of decisions.  We also have a QA team.

Yes. There is a release team. They decide on merit the presence of individual
applications in the GNOME desktop (at least, what we consider part of the basic
desktop). They don't really set long-term milestones that touch the whole
desktop (like, say, HIG compliance, accessibility, design philosophy).

> Or is it the case that those people are nominally in charge, but the
> decisions they make are driven by the anarchic (I do not use that term
> in a pejorative sense!) nature of GNOME?  If that is so, we can try to
> explain this in a way tat makes sense to others.

It's very much like politics at a local level. Person X does stuff, so everyone
says "let's make him boss", then person X is boss, and sometimes does stuff
that people aren't too happy with. But since no-one else is prepared to do the
stuff (and the people who are don't have the same standing, so don't get made
boss), the boss carries on, until there's someone with better ideas/more
standing who does stuff better, and is more in touch with the community, then
people follow him instead.

Cheers,
Dave.

--