Re: [Fwd: Re: New supporter]

Oriol, others:

I want to repeat for the record, as I've said elsewhere, that the
GNOME technology roadmap is driven by the people who write the code.
As volunteers, or as people working for corporations with their own
goals, the people who do the hard work of driving GNOME set their own
goals and their own visions[1]. We as individuals may choose to
participate in that goal setting process by means of persuasion (using
research, reason, etc.) but he marketing team has not been, and will
not be, a group which sets policy or goals. We don't employ hackers,
and so, any claims that we should or will set policy is not only
unlikely to get things done, but is likely to backfire and make us
*less* influential.

Now, I think what John is pushing for in terms of research (and what
at least one other party is quietly working on) is a great thing for
us to do, as it gives developers tools they can use to make good
decisions about the future of the product. If anyone on the marketing
team wants to work towards goal setting, that's the way to do it-
build a very strong case and take it to developers, and assist them in
understanding the nuances that make you feel the way you do. That kind
of persuasive research and communication, among peers[2], is the only
way we can influence the technological direction of GNOME.

FWIW-
Luis

[1] this slide and some of the others from this talk are relevant:
http://tieguy.org/talks/GUADEC-2002-html/img11.html

[2] or better yet, not among peers, as the hackers can write GNOME
without us, but we have nothing to market without them!