Re: draft GNOME 2.10 press release

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:33:59 +0100, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 12:48 -0500, Luis Villa wrote:
> > FYI to everyone, I'm currently completing a new draft of the release,
> > what I have is attached. Murray, I've taken your framework and rebuilt
> > it quite a bit, I hope I'm not trampling on your toes too much.
>
> No problem. It seems good. Would you like to take over responsibility
> for the press release? I'm a lazy delegater.

Would be my pleasure. If you've had any info from Leslie or others
about distributing it, and any details on the translation ideas, let
me know off-list.

> Some of the awkwardness of the quotes results from trying to squeeze
> everyone's points into them. I still kind of like "worked hard so you
> don't have to", because it gets 2 ideas into few words.

It still seemed awkward to me. I'll look at it again after dinner.

> Straightforward writing interests me personally, so I'd replace, for
> instance, "continues to improve" with "improves", "continues to
> demonstrate" with "shows", and "helping make" with "makes", "distracting
> or confusing" with "confusing", "that have been added" with "added",
> etc. It's the principle of less words is better. I'd also avoid words
> like "power" where they have no obvious meaning.

Sure, I can try to clean that up a bit, and I'll also run it by
Christine McLellan (Novell pm-y type who hangs out in #gnome-hackers)
for her suggestions on the wording.

> The autodetection of "servers" on local networks is
> - gnomemeeting detects other gnomemeeting users.
> - Some games detect networked players

Cool. I'd love to think about distributing some talking points behind
these so that GNOME folks can give concrete examples if asked-
anything think that is a good or bad idea?

> By the way, I don't mind adding .doc exports for the disadvantaged, but
> let's not use it as a primary format.

Oh, of course, I'm just having OOo 2.0<->1.1 problems, so until I
straighten those out, or until everyone decides to upgrade to OOo
1.9.74 or whatever it is (which I figure is unlikely) I just needed
/something/ to get it out. I'll try to do that tonight.

Luis