Re: real marketing or just catchy slogans?

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 13:45 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 11:31 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> >> I would prefer to just link to LiveCDs for the distributions, but
> >> 1) They don't provide these at the right time.
> >> 2) They don't all provide them.
> >> 3) They are not all a good user experience.
> >
> > Didn't Luis start an ubuntu-offshoot "pure" GNOME live CD? What happened
> > to that?
>
> Er, that's what we are talking about. We had it for 2.10 and 2.12, and
> we'll have it again for 2.14.

Ok, I completely missed the point of the above, sorry.

Back OT (I hope): I would think that the current setup of distributing
Ubuntu but with their various mods removed is the best way forward. Each
distribution is going to make various changes to GNOME, but I would hope
that each derivative is closer to the base GNOME than it is to another
distribution's modified version. Of course, if everyone started
distributing GNOME with a similar set of patches applied (eg.,
navigation mode), that would be a marketing problem IMHO.

Bringing in other distros would confuse the issue. Ubuntu just happens
to be a vehicle; we're asking people to try GNOME though, not Ubuntu,
and to present them with various choices which are effectively all the
same thing would be confusing - people are afraid of picking the wrong
option IME.

Also, I know people have banged on about gnome.org a few times, but
hiding the LiveCD in the download area is a shame. We should have some
kind of 'Take a test drive' pretty prominently on the front page, if we
think potential new users are coming to the site in substantial numbers.

Cheers,

Alex.