Re: gnome desktop personas - my very first draft

> Sorry to butt in here, but I am not sure of the value of this exercise.

well, i was starting to question its value myself, considering we're
basing those "personas" in preconceptions and our limited personal
experience with users, instead of carefully collected data.

i guess that questioning is why i haven't added a line in the last few days  :)

on the other hand, maybe it COULD be a valuable tool (but nothing more
than that), at least for making (supposed) target markets look like
something more "living".

> True, but more tellingly, where is the utility of describing a "segment" that doesn't exist?

preconceptions can be based in real-life data, not collected
systematically maybe, but actual empirical observation.  i mean,
personas will not be scientific, but they don't necessarily have to be
worthless.

i agree this shouldn't be the way to "build" our target markets, but
it could be an interesting way to picture them (and not much more than
that).

> Sorry to pour cold water on your creative urges, Santiago (and by all
> means feel free to ignore my comments!)

no problem; i always prefer the truth  :)

anyway, i had my concerns about this idea too, so it's not like those
"urges" were so vibrant.

--
Santiago Roza
Departamento I+D - Thymbra