Re: random idea- cvs overviews for gnome journal?

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 04:42:13PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 13:12 -0700, Sriram Ramkrishna wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:50:00PM -0400, Luis Villa wrote:
> > > Would it make sense to do a monthly (or weekly) review of cvs-commits
> > > traffic to get the highlights out into gnome-journal (and hence the
> > > public) and to provide sources for feature lists for the release notes?
> > >

> > I'll leave that to Jim since he's the editor. :-)  I suspect that he'd
> > be happy to accomdate it if someone will do the work.
>
> Just to be clear, I think it is useful, with or without gnome-journal,
> since bug folks could easily read it to pick up things to test,
> release-note writers and PR people could use it to pick things to brag
> about, etc. It just seems like gnome-journal is a reasonable vehicle to
> use to distribute and edit such a thing.

Sure. and we can also do it in GNOME Summary since htat infrastructure
exists.  Showing status will be easy since thats what GNOME Summary was
all about.

> > > This would be potentially be a high-dedication but high-reward project
> > > for someone. It could also be broken up by module into tasks for several
> > > people, if they wanted to.
> >
> > Does Subversion have good metadata that we could do to make this easier?
> > Maybe a good driver towards using Subversion (like KDE is moving towards)
> > for all this.  Because it does seem like a lot of work.  A good project
> > for someone who has good skills in XML stuff I think.
>
> Unless the metadata is of the form 'bug fix', 'feature', etc., I don't
> think it is of much value for this particular task. But I'm happy to be
> wrong :)

:-)  I dont' know myself.  Well, I'm all for KISS so if people want to take
a few minutes a day and can do this thats all good.  I know I treid and I
wasn't able to maintain it for any length of time, but then I'm easily
distracted so someone with a better personality type than mine might be able
to do this much better than when I did.  (I wasn't looking at Changelogs or
anything, but spending time going around web sites looking for things that
are GNOMEy)

> > I still get the cvs commit summaries, but they are just stats
> > about who are the top committers, and what module was the most active
> > it doesn't provide a lot of detail unfortunately.  I could follow up
> > on it if people want me to and see how it gets generated.
>
> Again, unless we're generating metadata, I don't think we can autogen
> much. It's just a reading exercise, really... still, a very valuable
> one.

I love engineering stuff to be lazy, but thats the sysadmin part of me. :-)

We'll have to see where this fits in the overall marketing scheme.

sri