Re: Getting some marketing love going..

On Tue,  9 Nov 2004 09:50:11 +0100
Dave Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:

> Without trying to be negative, what would we get these new people to
> do? Do we have some market research plan that we can put into action
> now, or are we simply deciding which markets are interested in GNOME
> based on current usage, and working on strategies to consolidate those
> markets?

There's no market research plan (yet), as far as I know. However, two
potential 'user groups' have been discussed: University (college)
students/academics and governments.

For each of these groups, there's are some things that could be done:

1.) For the university/colleges group, we need to update ask several
maintainers if they are willing to accept updates to GTK2 and a better
GNOME integration, so that we can do a proper LiveCD with useful
software.

2.) For the government group, it lacks some software adressing their
needs, as far as I know.

3.) For both efforts, we need a web platform to exchange information
with potential local supporters and users, and to promote the projects.
I checked server-based groupware and CMS software during the last week,
but none seems to be able to cover everything I had in mind.

I have found some additional applications for 1.) They are not yet
written for GTK and GNOME, but in C. I tried to redo the interface of
one of them with Glade, and it didn't seem so complicated. However,
that's probably just useful when we know about the free space of the
LiveCD.

I have also collected some web adresses for 2.). A sort of 'informal'
research what prevents governments from switching to Linux (i.e. what it
would be needed to make them consider Linux and GNOME) would do for the
beginning. Are you willing to do this and then organize the next
steps? Would be cool. :D

Regards,

Claus