Re: Getting some marketing love going..

Hi Sri,

Quoting Sri Ramkrishna <sri aracnet com>:

> Well having been sick, I haven't been able to come through on the
> calendar stuff as of yet.  :/

Good to see you back :)

> I was also thinking of doing some pimping in gnome-love to get more
> people know about marketing list. That might help a lot in getting some
> more active participants especially in other countries we want to
> outreach.  While we want to grow the developer base, we also want to get
> people who have skills in art, music, and other things.

Without trying to be negative, what would we get these new people to do? Do we
have some market research plan that we can put into action now, or are we
simply deciding which markets are interested in GNOME based on current usage,
and working on strategies to consolidate those markets?

Looking at http://live.gnome.org/MarketingTeam_2fActionItems - and by the way, I
want to say that the people who have been feeding the Wiki on this have been
doing a great job - there are 3 action points there which could be done easily
by gnome-lovers.

The first is compiling that list of existing GNOME deployments. I only found out
last week that there are 400,000 GNOME desktops in Brazil. Success stories like
that add another angle to the figures thatw ere cited on Linux websites of
4/2/1 with 60% KDE, 30% GNOME, 10% others - none of those websites would ever
be targetting the kinds of markets where GNOME is having its biggest successes
(JDS in Ireland and China, GNOME in Andalucia, Munich, Brazil and others). This
should also include a list of local GNOME User Groups or Foundations, I believe
that there are 5 or 6 of those now.

The second is GNOME articles - articles about every aspect of GNOME as it
relates to typical usage would be great.

The third is website updates, but I'm not sure what is involved in that...

How does that sound?

Cheers,
Dave.

--