Re: Poster templates (request for comments)

Hi,

Ian McIntosh wrote:
> ***
>
> "Sao Paolo was facing ___(financial?) but/yet/and needed to
> replace/upgrade/update ___(computers/network?).
>
> After considering ___ Sao Paolo chose the GNOME desktop because of its
> ___.
>
> Now, Sao Paolo enjoys ___(unexpected benefits? smooth operation?)
> without worrying about ___.
>
> ___(this is happening all over).  Learn more at www.gnome.org/choice"
>
> ***

I get the impression you aren't aware of how GNOME is used by the
Sao Paolo state government. Allow me the pleasure of enlightening
you :)

The "Telecentros" project in Sao Paolo is a way to allow people
in underprivileged areas access to IT. People can avail of up to
1 hour a day for free on the state supplied computers, which run
(techie details) LTSP with GNOME from a big server.

There are courses in basic IT (word processing, spreadsheets and
so on) plus a number of more advanced courses.

All in all, it is estimated that there are 400,000 regular users
of GNOME in the Sao Paolo province, via the telecentros project.

You really should go and read the ExistingGnomeDeployments page
in the live.gnome.org wiki :)

By the way, there was a mention of an Indian deployment a couple
of weeks back, but no-one knew if they were running GNOME. Would
there be someone on the list in a position to check?

> If you shrink the "software for everybody" font down to 28, it will fit
> nicely under "GNOME" and the foot can span both, which I think is more
> clear.

I agree. Change integrated.

> If we can find good pictures, I think we have a winner.  I imagine a
> series of these (detailing different installations) cleverly staggered
> down a hallway or around a booth.

I had the same idea :) Actually, the idea came from walking down
a corridor in Ikea, where you have a series of Ikea posters
through the ages all pushing the same idea. It's all of
advertising, brand awareness and kitsch art, at the same time.

Cheers,
Dave.

--
        David Neary,