Re: Direction and Strategy....

or do we have an agreed upon policy/framework on these issues ::

[1] what to showcase as GNOME development ?
[2] what common strategies do we follow ?
[3] do we create a global template/plan of action and then
adopt/adapt it to the regional level ? (the alternative is that
regional lists/listadmins are given to interpret the GNOME Marketing
goals as best as they can for the local area and then go ahead with
the promotion)
[4] should we be sharing case studies, stories and anecdotes
including regional level feedback to ensure that iterative and
exponential knowledge growth occurs ?
[5] identify the target audience as mentioned below

i feel that we should be discussing all these on this list before
taking ideas back to our regional ones.

warm regards
sankarshan

> More importantly, what are we marketing for?
>
> Are we:
>
> * Trying to get more volunteers?
> * Trying to get more developers?
> * Trying to get more adoption?
>
> Lets answer the above questions before we get into the details
below.
> Usually this is why you have a marketing statement in order to
ground your
> efforts into a particular direction.  Wd don't have to do that
here. :-)
> But it's good to know what the purpose of the whole thing is.
>
> But what you've written is fairly nice list.
>
> sri
>
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Hasbullah Bin Pit wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 01:26:50 +0800
> > From: Hasbullah Bin Pit <sebol ikhlas com>
> > To: Marketing Dudes <marketing-list gnome org>
> > Subject: Direction and Strategy....
> >
> > We are on very early stage of gnome marketing project.
> >
> > I actually quite blank what to do, I've gnome Malaysia Mailing
list, but
> > What's next?
> >
> > I think we should have global marketing strategy and direction.
> >
> > What to market?
> > Gnome, but which one?
> > Vanilla? Garnome?  gnome_that_come_with_distro_X?
> > or maybe a documentation on how to get gnome from various way.
> >
> > gnome as project or gnome as finished product?
> >

> > who to market?
> > roughtly we have do categorize thet target...
> > - Education
> > - Corp business Desktop
> > - home user, old timer, youngster
> > - government office (require political skill)
> > - blah blah
> > -
> >
> > How to market?
> > what i think is...
> > local media, require press release
> > press release faxed to media office
> > product review, interview in local magazine.
> > local forum, mailing list..
> > bla bla bla
> >
> > and another issue is, do we need to divide ourself into per
country?
> > why not per language? or per region such as Asia Pacific.
> >

> > I would like to suggest that we should have global marketing
direction
> > and strategy, so that can be implemented by region.
> >

> > --
> > Hasbullah Bin Pit (sebol)
> >
> > "Fiber optic tu kecik, kalau kita letak high speed internet 312
Kbps tu,