Re: Direction and Strategy....

I'm not certain what we are waiting for.  I suspect some kind of direction
from the board?  I'm not certain.

You've asked some good questions, and I guess it depends on what our theme
is this year.

> [1] what to showcase as GNOME development ?

Well, who is are target audience?  For sake of argument, I would guess
that  we are looking for new users we'd hype the usability and simpliciy
features.  Certainly with Gnome 2.5 we have spatial nautilus that we can
pimp.  Even under load nautilus seems to work fairly well.

> [2] what common strategies do we follow ?

Good question.  I don't know how common it is as each country has it's
culture and language that we will have to consider.

> [3] do we create a global template/plan of action and then
> adopt/adapt it to the regional level ? (the alternative is that
> regional lists/listadmins are given to interpret the GNOME Marketing
> goals as best as they can for the local area and then go ahead with
> the promotion)

Bottom up or top down eh? How about we start with a global template as it
will be more clear what the global messages is.  Since we're just starting
out it might be wiser to put everyone's head together here and work on the
plan.  It might become clearer what needs to be a more clearer thing.

> [4] should we be sharing case studies, stories and anecdotes
> including regional level feedback to ensure that iterative and
> exponential knowledge growth occurs ?

Definitely!  I can tell you what happened to me in OSCON this past July
when I did the GNOME booth for instance.  (not in this message)

> [5] identify the target audience as mentioned below

There is no unifiying goal at the moment.  What should it be?  Lets start
with users.  It has the net effect of attracting deveopers too.  We have
things like the Bangalore conference to attract developers.

How does that sound?

sri