Re: Possible new (rewritten) map rendering library

Hi all!

On Sun, 2019-01-06 at 15:26 +0100, Marcus Lundblad wrote:
Hi!

Since quite some time we've been discussing implementing support for
vector tile support in Maps. Since this is a very large task and our
current rendering library (libchamplain) is holding us back from
eventually moving on to GTK+ 4, since it's using the now pretty much
deprecated Clutter scene graph. So I've been playing with idea of
trying to take the current libchamplain and try to "de-Clutterify" it
rebasing those components of similar concepts in the new GSK (GTK+
Scene Graph Kit). A disclaimer is that I'm not at all sure this will
be possible/feasable, but the idea would be to make as similar API-
wise aspossible to be able fit in into Maps with minor changes. This
would give us a feature-parity with the current situation (still
using regular bitmap tiles) but could maybe at a later point be
augmented with vector support.

This sounds like a good idea!

Maybe you should talk to Jiri as well and see if making a new (API
breaking) version of libchamplain makes sense?

Regards,
Mattias