Re: Maps' Mapbox free coupon is soon to expire

Richard Stallman, 11/11/2017 01:39:
What does the coupon give access to?  How how do we use it?
Does this involve a proprietary program?

I'm not from GNOME or MapBox but I had the same questions so maybe I have some answers.

1) The coupon is for requests to some MapBox tileservers.
2) It's used on GNOME maps, a desktop software for maps and directions, distributed at least by Ubuntu. <http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/07/gnome-maps-dead-end-mapquest> 3) MapBox seems to make nearly all its software free: <https://www.mapbox.com/about/open/>. Third parties seem to be able to replicate the infrastructure based on their code, e.g. <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Maps#Production_maps_cluster>. The last time I checked, MapBox seemed to offer users more freedom than even some self-hosted solutions, e.g. for privacy: <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T157763#3337113>.

Federico