Holidays in different countries

I am trying to write some code to automatically create a list of
official/public Iranian holidays, and I was wondering if that could be
extended for other countries/locales, something that may become useful
in GNOME or other free desktops.

What I have came to, is that holidays are usually either a fixed date in
a calendar (Shawwal 1 in every Islamic year is a holiday in many Muslim
countries, Eid ul-Fitr), or use simple combinations of weekdays and
calendars (fourth Thursday in November is a holiday in the United
States, Thanksgiving). There are also weekly holidays (every Sunday in
most countries of the world).

I also know that holidays may vary in different parts of a certain
country/territory. Different states in the US have different holidays,
for example.

But I am mostly ignorant of the whole picture. So, I am asking about
feedback.

I would appreciate it if you could please tell me about the pattern
holidays follow in your country. Please email me privately. I will try
to round up the information and post it to the pages for the giulia
(a.k.a. gnome locale) project.

roozbeh