Re: Function prefixes

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Bruno Haible wrote:

> Well, I like just the opposite. "glc_" is unique, "giu_locale_" is
> no advantage then. On the contrary, so long prefixes make source code
> hardly readable, because the relevant informative part of identifiers
> is drowned in always-constant boilerplate.
>
> Also, I think global flexibility requirements will force us to move
> components around in the long run, and thus "giu_" will in the long
> run be barely more than a reminiscence of history.

While I generally agree with you, when thinking about the user
that will read code using giulia libraries, "glc_" is as cryptic
as "xyz_".  Having longer function names does not hurt /that
much/, since applications using giulia do not make that many
calls to it (or that's my current impression of what it will be.)
If there's going to be as little as 10 calls to giulia in a
project, I'd rather they be called giulia_locale_something
instead of glc_smthng...

My .02

--behdad
http://behdad.org/