Re: project location

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005, Bruno Haible wrote:

> Hi Behdad,

Hello Bruno,

> I agree with you: there were big problems two years ago. But it seems to be
> much better this year, and the fact that GNU Emacs and several critical
> projects are hosted on savannah gives me hope. Also, the CVS in
> savannah.gnu.org seems to be faster than the one on sourceforge.net.

Humm, GNU Emacs is a real exception IMO, it's developed /inside/
gnu.org and is of special importance to RMS. ;)  It's much easier
to get support for Emacs than for an external project with none
of its developers having any more-than-usual permissions on the
GNU facilities...  Anyway, that's another problem.

> You say this with so much conviction that I come to agree.

:).  One thing I have found very very handy about gnome.org is
that they use one bugzilla and one CVS repository, and recently
one wiki space, as a result, all projects hosted can interlink
together easily.  Next time you need to checkout a project, you
don't have to browse to their website to find out what their CVS
root is, you just cvs co modulename...  And bugs are transfered
from one module to another quite easily.  I like this ecosystem
:).

> I have extracted the glocale part from the GNU gettext CVS, and prepared
> a patch that makes it independent of GNU gettext. (Btw, I'm also done with
> the LC_MESSAGES locale facet.)

Very nice indeed.

> Can you create the project on gnome.org and please add me as a member?

First step is for you to request a CVS account:

  http://live.gnome.org/NewAccounts

Just mention that Roozbeh, Danilo, and Behdad want me to have a
CVS account for the locale project and point them to this list.

And we have wiki here:

  http://live.gnome.org/LocaleProject

Please create a wiki account for yourself and feel free to start
shaping the page to reflect your work.  We would clean it up and
divide it into multiple pages later (what a long page!)

[Roozbeh, Danilo, if you know how to redirect a page, please make
/Locale redirecto to it.]

And for bugzilla:

  http://bugzilla.gnome.org/

Again, create an account.

Remains:

  - A bugzilla component.  I believe both me and Danilo can set
that up, as soon as we decide on the name.

  - CVS.  As I said, there is a single repository for the whole
GNOME project, so all you need is to import your code into a
module, which again, blocks on the name, and of course your
account request.  The account should not take more than a week.

> And how do we call the project?
> "Locale and Unicode support libraries" is the description.
> libglocale will be one part of it; the Unicode Sets are likely to be
> a separate library inside the project.
> What's the short name of the whole? i18nlibs?

I believe we can start into one CVS module.  Inside that we can
easily have subdirectories that cannot be either built as part of
the whole project, or even bundled, released, and built as
separate libraries.  I know enough autotools foo to do that, and
I believe you do too.  You may want to import the code in the
libglocale subdir of whatever we come up with.

So, we are blocked on the name again.  Humm,  what about libg11n?
Expands to globalization which is the union of i18n and L10n ;),
and has got a GNU/GNOMEish 'g' and 'n' too.

Just remember not to mistake it with lib9/11 ;).

> Bruno

--behdad
http://behdad.org/