Re: Administrativia

On Fri, 2005-08-19 at 14:34 +0200, Bruno Haible wrote:
>   - gettext's glocale is a good starting point for this project. The
>     LGPL license is apparently OK. There's a large overlap of functionality.
>     And the architecture (runtime + a cooker) fits as well.

It seems that everybody agrees to some degree or another.

> * Who volunteers to contribute code or documentation to the project?

I guess there are a few volunteers here, mostly people who have talked
(some subscribers are only here to monitor, I guess). The things they
like to do is different, but as soon as we have a list of tasks for our
first release, we can see where we lack volunteers.

>   I would very much like it to be a GNU project, so that GNU gettext can
>   use it. (msggrep for example is hardly usable, because we don't have
>   a gl_regex function yet. glocale will fix this.)

Well, it is already a GNU project to some degree. GNOME is a GNU
project, and this thing is currently a part of GNOME.

>   When it is part of GNU gettext, all contributors need to sign papers
>   giving the FSF the copyright over their contribution.

I don't think everyone will agree with this, specially IBM who owns most
of the copyright for ICU, from which we are planning to borrow (or port)
code.

> * Should it be part of GNU gettext or separate?

I believe separate would be much better. We don't necessarily want to
have the exact constraints imposed on GNU gettext by its traditions.

>   If it's part of GNU gettext, it will find its way into Linux distributions
>   rather easily. Otherwise, it will be GNOME which "drags" it into the distros.

But GNOME will drag it. By the time it gets dragged, the CLDR parts are
probably not mature enough to be used in much anything outside GNOME, so
that's fine.

We don't want many users at the beginning, or we will be crushed under
the weight of all our users.

>   It it's part of GNU gettext, it will be easier to install on non-glibc
>   systems. If it's separate, people will need to build and install
>   1. gettext (for the tools), 2. glocale (for libglocale), 3. gettext again
>   (so that msggrep works better).

I don't get it. Which tools from gettext are we talking about that
glocale will depend on?

> * What shall be the name of the library? Is "glocale" OK with everyone?

Fine with me.

roozbeh