Re: Administrativia

Hi Behdad
pls see my replies below

thx
Peter

Behdad Esfahbod ha scritto:
Hi Peter,

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005, Peter Nugent wrote:

1. you need to ensure that CLDR data has been converted faithfully from
LDML to whatever format you are proposing to use. You will probably need
to do the folliwng :
- write a tool to convert LDML -> new format
- write tool to convert new format back to LDML
- write a tool to compare the 2 LFML files to ensure no difference.

Nothing stops us from borrowing code from ICU.  For now, Bruno is
busy with the POSIX layer and he definitely is on the right
track.  Why don't you get started by isolating the CLDR handling
code from ICU?

I'm happy to help uot but right now and for the next couple of weeks I have no bandwidth to spend time on this.

2. how are you going to implement collations ? this is no easy task.
OpenOffice has its own locale data but uses ICU for collations. There's
probably a good reason for this.

It's already done in glibc.  We'll borrow that.

ok, so in otherwords you are going to use the 30 year old posix LC_COLLATE format for representing collations (and will need a tool to do the conversion) but some ICU like formats for some other data. I'm not particularly keen on this hybrid approach.

3. how long will it take to develop this idea into a stable working
library ?

To be honest, I would say at least two years.  Just looking at
the experience of hal and cairo that each took three years.

yes I think this is a realistic estimate. All the more reason to make sure that app owners have bought into this new library before spending a lot of time on it.
so how many developers are signed up to contribute right now ?

ICU exist today and works just fine on solaris and is widely used.

Yes, but you see, nobody uses ICU, and it's no easy to change.
That's the problem we want to solve, and if ICU is that good at
the code level, we definitely borrow the code.  Not?

hmm, not sure I agree with this. Solaris has been shipping with ICU for a long time, OpenOffice uses it as do Apple and lots of other people so it can't be that bad ! If you mean no one in GNOME uses it then sure I agree. As to whether ICU is easy to change or not well that's a matter of engaging with the ICU people to bring about change which is a comunity effort just as this one is !

behdad

just my 2 cents worth
Peter

Bruno Haible ha scritto:

As a result of last week's discussions, it's becoming clear to me that

 - gettext's glocale is a good starting point for this project. The
   LGPL license is apparently OK. There's a large overlap of functionality.
   And the architecture (runtime + a cooker) fits as well.

 - The project - with the support for CLDR and the setter APIs - is
   larger than what I had initially thought. As a result, I'm reconsidering
   the infrastructure.

* Who volunteers to contribute code or documentation to the project?

* Can it be a GNU project or part of a GNU gettext?

 I would very much like it to be a GNU project, so that GNU gettext can
 use it. (msggrep for example is hardly usable, because we don't have
 a gl_regex function yet. glocale will fix this.)

 When it is part of GNU gettext, all contributors need to sign papers
 giving the FSF the copyright over their contribution. If it's a separate
 project, the contributors can keep their copyrights, but it's harder for
 the project to play a central role in GNU.

* Should it be part of GNU gettext or separate?

 Should it have a distribution directory, a web site etc. of its own?

 The link between glocale and gettext is quite weak: just the 4 functions
 from glocale/libintl.h. But:

 If it's part of GNU gettext, it will find its way into Linux distributions
 rather easily. Otherwise, it will be GNOME which "drags" it into the distros.

 If it's part of GNU gettext, the sharing of some libintl files and
 other infrastructure is easier.

 It it's part of GNU gettext, it will be easier to install on non-glibc
 systems. If it's separate, people will need to build and install
 1. gettext (for the tools), 2. glocale (for libglocale), 3. gettext again
 (so that msggrep works better).

 What's your opinion?

* What shall be the name of the library? Is "glocale" OK with everyone?

Bruno

--behdad
http://behdad.org/