[libxml++] Re: [xml] libxml version numbers

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 13:57 -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 05:16:15PM +0000, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Daniel, what kind of version numbers do you plan to use for libxml
> > releases during the GNOME 2.7/2.8 cycle? I'm asking so that we can
> > choose an appropriate version number for our GNOME 2.7/2.8 libxml++.
> >
> > I know you don't use the odd-number=unstable, even-number=stable, but
> > I'm not sure what you do instead.
>
>   Every version is deemed stable :-)

API-stable, I mean. I'm sure that not every version is API stable.

> I will stick to 2.6.X until something big is changed or added.

And 2.6.n+1 will have "small" API additions compare to 2.6.n?

> But so far I have no such plan, so you can expect 2.6.X to continue
> for a while.

OK, so, Christophe, I recommend that you call the GNOME 2.7/2.8 stuff
libxml++ 2.7/2.8 so that you can add some API, because there is no easy
way to use the version number to show what version of the libxml API we
target.

>  Then the new branch would be 2.7.X but again I don't
> know what would trigger such a change. Next API/ABI incompatible release
> would be 3.0.X but I have no target for this in the short or medium term.

Thanks.

murrayc murrayc com