Re: [Libxmlplusplus-general] coding style issues

Murray Cumming wrote:
On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 17:13, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

3) hiding state in the private section:
   It's a matter of good encapsulation to put all members into the
   private section, and then provide accessors (either public or
   protected). That helps to decouple dependencies between base and
   derived classes. Of course, derived classes then can't access the
   member variable. That's exactly the point, that's the goal !

And I say "you can't predict the future" so you should not completely hide complex types.

that is a very dangerous argument, at least when applied in general:
What if my wrapper acts as a proxy, or serializes access (making the API thread-safe), etc. ? This totally defeats the whole point of
encapsulation.
That said, the question really needs to be addressed case by case.

Regards,
		Stefan