Help with cookies and authenticate

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the correct way to use cookies with libsoup
and couchdb.  I have not been able to find an example of this, so I
thought I would ask here. I'm not sure it matters, but I am coding in
Vala.

If a user accesses a resource with user and password in the url
ie. "user:passwd example com" I would like to use that information to
get a cookie from example.com/_session and then redirect the user to
their requested resource or handle a login error.

I am also curious as to how to handle the user:passwd info in the uri.
Should I discard it?

Also how should I handle a cookie that times out.

Thank you.

--
Regards,
Brian Winfrey