Re: [sigc] Using GitHub Actions (MSVC build)

On Mon, 7 Oct 2019 at 09:03, Murray Cumming <murrayc murrayc com> wrote:
On Wed, 2019-10-02 at 10:25 +0100, Stuart Dootson wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 10:23, Stuart Dootson <stuart dootson gmail com
> > wrote:
> > There's no problem with the tests per-se - the problem is that the
> > sigc dll is not in the same directory as the test executables. The
> > DLL is in <cmake-build-dir>/sigc++/<Debug/Release>, while the EXEs
> > are in <cmake-build-dir>/tests/<Debug/Release>.
> >
> > So, options are:
> >
> > 1. Change the PATH to include the DLL directory before running the
> > tests
> > 2. Copy the DLL to the EXE directory as a post-build action - that
> > can be done with CMake, something like adding this bit of CMake to
> > the function add_sigcpp_test:
> >
> >   add_custom_command(
> >     TARGET ${test_name}
> >     POST_BUILD
> >     COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E copy
> >         $<TARGET_FILE:sigc-${SIGCXX_API_VERSION}>
> >         ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}
> >     VERBATIM
> >   )
> >
> > 3. Build all targets (DLL & test executables) into the same output
> > directory with something like this bit of CMake:
> > if(MSVC)
> >     set(CMAKE_RUNTIME_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY ${CMAKE_BINARY_DIR}/bin)
> > endif()
> >

> I ought to clarify that this should be added to the root
> CMakeList.txt, just after the "project (sigc++)" line.

> > Hope that's of some help...

Thanks. Trying option 3 (putting everything in one bin/ directory)
seems to work, but I find the changes a bit messy:
https://github.com/libsigcplusplus/libsigcplusplus/pull/31

Option 1 (changing the PATH) seems to be the simplest and most correct
way to do it, but I haven't found quite the correct CMake incantation:
https://github.com/libsigcplusplus/libsigcplusplus/pull/32

If you have a Windows system, maybe you could checkout out that branch
and try it out, please.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com

From some quick Googling, it looks like the best/easiest way to alter the PATH for the test environment is to use "cmake -E env" as an intermediate executor that sets the environment for your test executable, and using CMake generator expressions to retrieve the correct file & directory paths for the targets involved. This yields the following add_test command:

  add_test (NAME ${test_name}
   COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -E env "PATH=$<TARGET_FILE_DIR:sigc-${SIGCXX_API_VERSION}>;$ENV{PATH}" $<TARGET_FILE:${test_name}>)

I've implemented that & tested it (seems to work - the tests all pass) on my Windows machine & pushed the commit to a fork of libsigc++ @ https://github.com/studoot/libsigcplusplus/commit/2a332883d6ee20970d965b0907ca04fc1e2f1289. I also tried making a test deliberately fail & that was detected as well, so it looks like tests are executed correctly.

Stuart Dootson