Re: [sigc] Move to GitHub?

On 03/03/2018 08:48, John Emmas wrote:

https://githubengineering.com/crypto-removal-notice/

It seems that GitHub now requires a specific version of Transport Layer Security (TLSv1.2). I updated my local version of git and presto, pushes started to work again - BUT - other people can't pull my projects any more unless they also update to TLSv1.2 (in other words, there's a ripple effect here).

I'm worried about what might happen now if I push something to a project that's -not- hosted at GitHub. Will that then prevent others from being able to pull from that other project?

I'm just about to contact GitHub so I'll report back if I get any response from them.

GitHub replied overnight. Essentially they've dropped support for TLSv1 and TLSv1.1 (TLSv1.2 is now the minimum requirement for all access, including push, pull, fetch etc). However, they're confident that this won't affect non-GitHub sites. If you update to TLSv1.2 but you then need to access a site that's still using TLSv1 or TLSv1.1, there'll be no ill-effects (according to GitHub support!!)

Another thing I've discovered is that this only affects sites hosted at 'https://github.com' (if you can access a site using 'git://github.com' the TLS stuff doesn't seem to be relevant).

John