Re: [sigc] Linking dynamically with SigC++ (now rather: License)

Am Montag, 16. Juli 2007 10:52:43 schrieb Murray Cumming:
> > IANAL, but AFAIK this is not true.  You can *never* change the license at
> > all without consent from the authors.  It may be that an author wants his
> > code to be available under "version 2.1 or later", not under v3. :-(
>
> If you've given consent for your code to be released under "version 2.1
> or later" then you've given your consent for someone to release it under
> version 3,  4, 5, etc. The original copyright holders are free to
> continue to release their original code under version 2.1. This is well
> accepted.

..and does only make sense.  So what I wrote above ("change the license") only
applies to adding/removing clauses (or changing the whole license, which is
obvious).  I should have kept my mouth shut.

> > But IANAL, so take this as another of these non-authoritative
> > contributions to a license discussion thread.. ;-/  (FWIW, I repeatedly
> > read the above on the kde-core-devel list.)
>
> Which doesn't make it correct.

..the error is most certainly on my side, since there was *not* a discussion
about a "GPL2 or later" vs. "GPL3" change.  Sorry.

Ciao, /  /
     /--/
    /  / ANS