Re: [sigc] Linking dynamically with SigC++ (now rather: License)

On Thursday 06 July 2006 18:20, Aristid Breitkreuz wrote:
> If I understand it correctly, the exception must be bullet-proof (of
> course ;-) ) and in difference to the LGPL allow the following
> use-cases:
>      1. Using all the template stuff (generally code in headers with
>         more than 10 lines per functional unit) in libsigc++ from
>         application / library code.

Right. This permission was already given but is not explicitly stated in the
distributed license.

>      2. Linking libsigc++ statically, at least on Windows or other
>         technically restricted platforms (I dislike Windows-DLLs).

Nope. Even on a theoretical platform where you can't link dynamically (MS
Windows isn't one) you could still ship at least compiled objectfiles to
allow the user to relink their code with a changed libsigC++. The fact that
you dislike win32 DLLs and that they are inferior to Unix shared objects in
some aspects doesn't affect the users' freedoms.

You also asked in a different mail why libsigC++ has any non-header parts at
all, and the reason is because it can. There are some background bookkeeping
things that are the exact same for every part of it and as such they can be
compiled into a shared library so it doesn't take up RAM and cachelines in
every program that uses libsigC++. Of course, creating a completely
header-only libsigC++ would be possible, but that would be like enforcing
static linking and might even lead to code bloat on not-so-smart
compilers/linkers.

Uli

Visit our website at <http://www.domino-printing.com/>
This Email and any files transmitted with it are intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any reading, redistribution, disclosure or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender immediately and delete the material from your computer.

E-mail may be susceptible to data corruption, interception, viruses and unauthorised amendment and Domino UK Limited does not accept liability for any such corruption, interception, viruses or amendment or their consequences.