Re: [sigc] Proposal for standardization in C++ Library TR2

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:20:51 +0200, Murray Cumming wrote

> > There's the "trackable" class, which could potentially get a different
> > name, but it doesn't have to. Signal, slot, and connection are the big
> > ones.
> >
> > Murray, Carl: How do you feel about this terminology?
>
> I still favor event/handler. I already use "signal handler" in
> documentation to refer to functions that are called when signals are
> emitted.
>
> Publisher/Subscriber seems to be making too much of it, as if it was
> some kind of high-brow concept. However, I am familiar with it from
> using the Powerplant framework on MacOS back in the day.
>
> But I'm not going to stand in the way of a consensus.

I'm mostly lurking here, but since it's something as essential as naming a
couple thoughts...

CORBA calls the distributed version of this capability an 'Event Channel'.
There are 'Suppliers', 'Consumers', and 'Events'.  To my brain these terms are
easier to understand than signals and slots. You can take a look at this URL
for more on this:

http://www.iona.com/support/docs/manuals/orbix/33/html/orbixevents33_pguide/intro.html

POSA also describes this capability as an Event Channel.

Publish/Subscribe typically carries with it the ability to perform filtering
in the channel.  That is you normally subscribe to a 'topic' and receive the
messages published on that 'topic'.  Tibco Rendezvous is the prototypical
example of this.  So I don't like publish/subscribe in this context.

Jeff