Re: [sigc] Proposal for standardization in C++ Library TR2

On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 13:41 -0500, Doug Gregor wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Lars Gullik Bj� wrote:
> > I think there is more than two names that needs to be decided on.
> >
> > With signal/slot we have at least: signal, slot, connection and emit
> > (wheter the explit emit will be in the standard or not is a different
> > subject)
> >
> > For publisher/subscriber this could be: publisher, subscriber,
> > subscription and publish
> >
> > Are there other concepts in this framework that needs to be named?
>
> There's the "trackable" class, which could potentially get a different
> name, but it doesn't have to. Signal, slot, and connection are the big
> ones.
>
> Murray, Carl: How do you feel about this terminology?

I still favor event/handler. I already use "signal handler" in
documentation to refer to functions that are called when signals are
emitted.

Publisher/Subscriber seems to be making too much of it, as if it was
some kind of high-brow concept. However, I am familiar with it from
using the Powerplant framework on MacOS back in the day.

But I'm not going to stand in the way of a consensus.

--
Murray Cumming
murrayc murrayc com