Ubuntu LTS support for cmy own cairo canvas and clutterActor

Hello,

In a project I'm using the available libchamplain from the Ubuntu LTS (libchamplain 0.12.2).
In this version, I am not able to draw my own clutterActors or Cairo Canvas on top of the map.
An implication of this fact is that the demo animated-marker.c does not draw the marker (it is based on a cairo canvas).
Is there an equivalent way to do this in the older versions, or is it impossible?
Thanks