Re: Question about map sources.

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 6:18 PM, Jiří Techet <techet gmail com> wrote:
> Cool - I've just installed it under Ubuntu using your ppa. You should
> add dependency on gir1.2-gconf-2.0 package because it was not
> installed by default on my system and your application ended with
> exception.

I'll let my debian packager know about this, but I'm not that worried
about it because I actually just finished porting to GSettings, so
GConf is no longer used ;-) Future versions won't have this repo.

>> Are there any other map sources out there not included in the factory?
>> Is there any value in me adding opencyclemap manually, since it's just
>> a stopgap until you release the fix anyway?
>
> Actually I think it's a good idea to create their own map sources for
> any serious application instead of relying on libchamplain's factory.
> As you can see, tile sources can appear/disappear/change URL quite
> quickly and people will have different versions of libchamplain
> installed on their systems, each with a different (possibly outdated)
> map sources so your application will work differently on each of the
> systems. By creating your own map sources you get independent of a
> particular libchamplain version and it is also much more flexible for
> you when e.g. the URL of a map source changes.

Ok, I will consider adding opencyclemap manually. Just so long as I
can use factory.register() in order to continue simply iterating over
factory.get_registered() to build the  menu of available app sources,
then it won't be particularly onerous for me.

--
http://exolucere.ca