Re: Libchamplain and GNOME 3.0

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 18:34, Łukasz Jernaś <deejay1 srem org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 6:29 PM, Jiří Techet <techet gmail com> wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Yes, but I would leave the check there, valac is needed to build the
>>> demo app and required it at build time may prevent some weird
>>> directory permission issues which may pop up.
>>
>> Ah, yes, that's true. But in that case I would prefer not to have vala
>> bindings enabled by default to reduce the amount of the necessary
>> packages for libchamplain build (the remaining bindings aren't enabled
>> by default either). Why do you need it to be enabled?
>
> Well, Vala is a blessed dependency of the GNOME desktop so I see no
> reason why they shouldn't be shipped by default.
> Personally I'd like the bindings to be there, because Emerillon's
> plugins will heavily depend on them and it would be a bit unfortunate
> if some distributions didn't ship them because they were off by
> default...

Wouldn't it be enough to put --enable-vala among
DISTCHECK_CONFIGURE_FLAGS (actually it is already there). To be honest
I'm not familiar with the process of distributions package creation so
I don't know based on what they decide whether they enable some
library features or not. Still I would prefer for libchamplain to be
buildable by default with the minimal dependency set.

By the way, how are the vala bindings distributed for other libraries?
I tried to locate something with the .vapi extension in gtk and
libsoup tarballs but I haven't found any - still the bindings exist
for them.

Jiri