Re: Vala bindings for 0.6 (was [ANNOUNCE] libchamplain 0.6)

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 18:16, Łukasz Jernaś <deejay1 srem org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Jiří Techet <techet gmail com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 23:48, Łukasz Jernaś <deejay1 srem org> wrote:
>>> That's good news for me, especially that a new Vala release is out of
>>> the door. I expect my Ubuntu PPA to have the new vala release, a
>>> snapshot of libchamplain with the vala bindings and emerillon +
>>> plugins ready by tomorrow, so a quick question for all you people out
>>> there - tell me for which distro I should also provide packages ;)
>>
>> Without looking at your PPA yet - will you compile the package with or
>> without libmemphis support (and dependency)? As I said before, I would
>> prefer if libchamplain would depend only on the libraries that are
>> part of the standard Ubuntu installation (I think all the other
>> dependencies are already present in the system); at least for now as
>> libmemphis rendering seems to be alpha quality. I made the gtk-doc
>> work for make distcheck even when memphis support is disabled (even
>> though there are lots of warnings because it doesn't scan the memphis
>> source files and the references are missing).
>
> I'll ship it without memphis support. BTW do you use post release
> incrementing or pre release? Because the version on the 0.6 branch is
> still 0.6.0

Well, I use mixed release incrementing :-). I basically follow what
Pierre-Luc did - that is, post-release increment for 0.x releases and
pre-release (or better at-the-time-of-the-release) increment for 0.x.y
releases (libchamplain isn't unique in this respect, other libraries
do the same too). The problem with post release increment is that you
have to know what the next "y" will be - but you can never be sure you
won't need one more release candidate. And also the situation before
changing "x" cannot be described neither as pre- nor as post-release
increment (you basically have to make a pre-release increment when
changing e.g. 0.5 to 0.6 even if you use post-release incrementing).

>>> Ah, one last question for you Jiří - what version do you plan to push
>>> for GNOME 3.0 ? Right now the gnome-suites-3.0 moduleset uses 0.4.5
>>> and AFAIK the release team would have to be notified of any change in
>>> that...
>>>

>> Ah, I thought they would just grab the latest release. Do you have any
>> idea who I should contact in this respect?
>
> Nope, libchamplain as it is now isn't an official part of a GNOME
> release but only an external dependency of Empathy and ships whatever
> the empathy devs use.
> I think an email to desktop-devel-list should be enough to request
> inclusion of a newer release (it can't be made an official part of
> GNOME for this release as we're past module freeze
> <http://live.gnome.org/TwoPointThirtyone>), so you have to push
> empathy devs...

I think I'll provide a patch for it - that's the best way to convince people.

By the way, where can I find the dependency info for gnome, e.g. to
see what programs use libchamplain and which version?

Jiri