Re: API freeze coming up very soon

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 9:09 PM, Pierre-Luc Beaudoin <pierre-luc pierlux com> wrote:
Hi,

The API freeze for Gnome 2.28 and therefore libchamplain 0.4 is on July
20th 2009.  This is unfortunate as I'll be on vacation offline during
this time.  Therefore I'd like to hear your comments ASAP on the current
API.

Stuff I already know:
     * ChamplainPolygon is missing a remove point function
     * ChamplainSelectionLayer is coming up
If you have branches that expose this new API changes could you share them with us? I could find some time this week to start to write the bindings and some unit tests.

     * ChamplainMapSourceDesc is hard to bind, but doable AFAIK
This is already done for some bindings, it's a bit scary that the object is a public struct and not a GObjects. At least it works and

Clutter 1.0 will be released next Friday.  Therefore, I was considering
making the next libchamplain release 0.3.4 depend on it.  This will be
pain for the people using the bindings, but it is something that has to
be done a some point.  It will be less pain for next Clutter release as
1.x will be ABI/API compatible.

I understand the necessity of moving to Clutter 1.0 but we have to realize that most bindings will probably not be able to follow the new direction for a while. I think that it would be nice to provide one last version of 0.3 that's based on Clutter 0.8 and that will be stable. This way if people really want to use libchamplain from their favorite language they can still do it.

Are you planning on having version 0.4 based on Clutter 1.0?

--
Emmanuel Rodriguez