las-gnome Venue meeting minutes

Please review the walk though notes and make updates before we send them out to the team. Thanks!

July 27, 2016 venue walk through.

Attendees

Eliot Center: Holli

Local Team:  Danielle, Sri, Teresa

The walk through with the internet provider is this afternoon at 3pm.

We had a discussion about the pros and cons of having free admission to the conference. There are some things to keep in mind when not charging a registration fee.

-People inherently place less value on events that are "free" even if it's at a subconscious level.

- Cancellation rates and/or last minute attendees are often both higher. (There's no $ on the line so it's less of a commitment.) This makes it difficult to trust the numbers when estimating attendance.

- Events see a dip in attendance in the first year where fee is charged for formerly "free" events. This is normal

- Assuming 50 attendees at $100 each the potential income lost is $5k.

- Gnome Foundation and SUSE people don't pay as they are the major sponsors of the event(s). We estimate that each group will send ~25 people and anticipate a total conference attendance of 100.

- A suggested donation amount can be used in lieu of a registration fee in order to help defray some conference costs.

Venue:

1. Per our existing contract we may enter the building at 8am and must leave by 6pm. This will create a very tight schedule on Days 1 and 5.

2. Holli, our Eliot Center contact, is going to talk to another tenant of the building to see if we can borrow an unused classroom to use as a conference office. If not, we could use the hallway along the side of the Atrium, but there isn't a way to secure laptops or other valuables and there's no real sound barrier as the hall is created by extending a soft wall across one side of the Atrium.

3. The existing contract covers the atrium, an outside area, and a reception hall that has flexible dividers. When the dividers are extended the area is split into 3 unequal spaces.

4. Set up and tear down of all tables, chairs and audio visual equipment from the Eliot Center inventory are included. The staff needs 30 minutes to flip the rooms if we're changing the chair and table arrangements between sessions.

5. Lunch breaks:  There are a number of food carts and restaurants in the area. There are pros and cons to having people go to restaurants

6. Printed materials: